Alberta Wheat and Barley Commissions move to virtual regional meetings in light of new COVID-19 guidelines
The Alberta Wheat and Barley Commissions are moving their six regional meetings to a strictly online platform in light of new provincial measures concerning COVID-19. Until now, regional meetings had included both an in-person and virtual option. The regional meeting dates from November 17 to 26 remain unchanged, and will be held via online webinar. The decision to rescind the in-person option follows Alberta Health Services’ (AHS) announcement of new public safety measures on Thursday, November 12.
Despite moving to a solely online format, farmers are encouraged to participate in their regional meetings by registering for the online Zoom webinar and electronic voting function. The agenda features the commissions’ annual updates, farm management tips and agronomic information. Hear from Dr. Kelly Turkington on Fusarium Head Blight, Jon Driedger with LeftField Commodity Research on market updates, amongst other expert speakers.
Registration instructions for Alberta wheat and barley farmers include the following two steps:
- Register for your regional meeting webinar: Farmers
can register any time leading up to the day of their online regional
meeting. Industry is also welcome to attend the online regional
meetings. Farmers can click their regional meeting below and register
for the online webinar.
- Tuesday, November 17– ABC and AWC Region 1
- Wednesday, November 18– ABC and AWC Region 2
- Thursday, November 19– ABC and AWC Region 3
- Monday, November 23– ABC and AWC Region 4
- Tuesday, November 24– ABC and AWC Region 5
- Thursday, November 26– ABC Region 6 and AWC Region 5
- Register for electronic voting to be eligible to vote: Only wheat and barley farmers can register for electronic voting to participate in governance elections and resolutions. Due to verifying eligibility prior to the online meetings, farmers must register for the electronic voting by Monday, November 16 at albertawheatvotes.com or albertabarleyvotes.com.
The AHS announcement included the province’s new safety measures in place to reduce COVID-19 transmission, including gathering restrictions and social distancing measures. The safety of Alberta’s farming communities and our employees are the commissions’ top priorities.
Farmers with questions or concerns regarding the online webinar registration or the electronic voting registration are urged to contact Brian Kennedy (587-888-9203) firstname.lastname@example.org or Megan Evans (587-582-0204) email@example.com.
“While we can no longer offer regional meetings in-person, we are
confident we can deliver engaging meetings online consisting of
commission updates, plus farm management and agronomic information. We
encourage farmers who were going to participate in-person to still
attend through the online webinar.”
– Todd Hames, Alberta Wheat Commission chair
“We are continually trying to find solutions during these
unprecedented times. While it is short notice, we are hopeful farmers
will try to be engaged in our online regional meetings over the next two
– Dave Bishop, Alberta Barley chair
Interim Communications Manager
Alberta Wheat and Barley Commissions