The Alberta Wheat Commission’s (AWC) research investments are farmer-focused with the goal of increasing wheat farmers’ profitability. The AWC is focused on supporting research that will improve crop management, reduce input costs and environmental impact, and increase yield and grain quality.
To help direct specific research projects, the AWC frequently undertakes priority setting exercises. These exercises allow us to hear directly from farmers and the research community what issues they are facing on-farm and what emerging issues they expect to face.
Our latest priority setting session was held in February 2022. Below are the AWC’s specific project interests:
- Increasing yield potential with AGRONOMY
- Increasing yield potential with BREEDING
- Increasing sustainability with FERTILITY management
- Protecting yield from DISEASE threats
- Achieving consistent wheat QUALITY
- Increasing sustainability with SYSTEM HEALTH
- Protecting yields from INSECT threats
- Protecting yields from WEEDS
For more information please read the document Research Priorities.
Questions about the Alberta Wheat Commission's investment in research?